Calder Church was initiated in 1791 when members of the congregation of Burntshiels, residing in Lochwinnoch, made application to the Associate Presbytery of the Secession Church for permission to set up their own sermon (… or to build their own place of worship). The application was successful and the newly formed Lochwinnoch congregation then built the octagonal Meeting House in 1792. In 1798 octagonal galleries were added and in 1814 the interior walls were plastered. The square tower was added in 1815 and the manse constructed in1825 at a cost of £400.It was in 1866 that the church was totally renovated. Two front entrances were blocked off, the new gallery built, new windows fitted, new timber floor with easy gradient laid and new pulpit and pews installed.
Following a congregational vote around 1892 an American organ was purchased and instrumental music was first played on the first Sabbath of 1893. In 1899 a Grand Floral Bazaar was held over the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of November in Paisley Town Hall to raise funds to further renovate the Church and increase the hall accommodation. The extent of the works is not known in detail but the Church hall appears to have been built at that stage. Electricity was installed in 1930.
For a history of the United Free Church of Scotland, see their website.